[ixp1200] packet to strong arm

ravi modgekar ravilm at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 10:41:52 EST 2002

hi,
   I am new to ixp1200...I am facing a problem
understanding how the microengines transfer packets to
the strong arm.
 I am working on a project using IXP1250 which has an
IXF1002 connected .Now I am using L3Fwd2F reference
project as my base project to write code for this
board.
My question is...
1)Is there any major modification to be done in the
code to run a project written for a 64 bit
bidirectional IXbus mode to make it run on 32 bit
unidirectional IXBus mode??
2)what exactly is the communicaton mechanism between
the microengines and the core?What I have understood
is that the receive thread creates a descriptor which
contains info about which port to send the packet
to,and then the transmit thread reads this descriptor
and transmits the packet to the specified port.But in
this case the port number is 18,then how does trasmit
thread make use of this port 18.Please correct me if I
am wrong.

Thanks and regards
Ravi Modgekar