AW: [ixp1200] SDK 2.0, IXA and Kernel on eval board?

Mirko Benz benz at mephisto.inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue May 14 06:01:45 EDT 2002

Of course it is possible to get the Linux version provided with SDK 2
running on the evaluation board. But it is a bit tricky because the
documentation is a bit week concerning board customization (e.g. minimum
memory requirements ...) and other "issues" (e.g. chip bugs).

We have done that and it works for us. There are certainly limitations
in that you can not run SDK 2 apps requiring C0 silicon or apps
requiring more than 1K control memory storage. You will also have to
reduce the table sizes due to memory limitations in some cases. But for
a development system this is often tolerable.

We have developed a SDK 2 app based on the NAT sample. The count sample
has been tested as well. We have also tried to get the L3_8_1Gig_hw
sample up.
Initialization completes but we have not yet validated the
functionality.

I have discussed this (and our Linux PCI drivers) with an INTEL
representative at the CeBIT fair. But it seems there are not interested
(no feedback yet). I think it is more likely that they try to avoid the
required support for this "outdated" systems.

If you look at SDK 3 (supports only IXP2400 and IXP2800) even later
"advanced" evaluation systems will no longer be supported. Given the
price tag it is a bit pity.

Regards,
Mirko