Re: AW: [ixp1200] SDK 2.0, IXA and Kernel on eval board?

Mirko Benz Mirko_Benz at mephisto.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed May 22 07:18:01 EDT 2002

James,

The Linux version from netwinder (INTEL) was intended for the IXP12EB and
SDK 1.x. SDK 2 Linux adds IXP system configuration support in the Linux
kernel the rest of the distribution seems to be se same. However, it is not
intended for IXP12EB.

To get it running on the evaluation board (as add in card):

Select eval board during linux config

arm/kernel/bios32.c
	IXP PCI bug issues
arm/kernel/entry-armv.S
	added IRQ_DOORBELLHOST, DMA irq
arm/kernel/ixp1200.c
	ixp1200_pci_init() PCI bug workaround
include/asm-arm/arch-ixp1200/irq.h
	add doorbell irq to irq_reg[]
	modify irq_mask[]
include/asm-arm/arch-ixp1200/irq.h
	more irq stuff: NR_IRQS, define IRQ_DOORBELLHOST
include/asm-arm/arch-ixp1200/ixp1200eb.h
	change IXP1200_IRQS
	#define PHYS_SDRAM_BASE       0xC0C00000
arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile
	ZTEXTADDR	 = 0xc0c08000

This is not necessarily complete - just what I remember.

zImage start address: C0C08000
ramdisk start address: C1400000
start from cygmon: go c0c08000

If you plan to use the board standalone don’t care about PCI and IRQ stuff.
You can use cygmon ftp to put the images at the right place (or rebuild the
flash image).

Reduce the ramdisk memory footprint as much as possible (extract old ixp
binaries). Ramdisk can then be around 5,5 MB (adjust this in the linux tree
arch.c file and ramdisk build tree). Total memory for Linux is 18 MB. If
you need more memory consider mounting root via nfs.

That said, you still have to modify certain things at the SDK 2 application
layer and some drivers. It took us some time to figure that out so don't
expect everything to work first time ;-) But as you see INTEL won't help
you either.

Regards,
Mirko Benz