[ixp1200] hash unit

Michael E. Kounavis mk at ee.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 5 18:06:04 EDT 2002

Hi Damien,

The hash algorithm is the following:

The user sepcifies the coefficients
of an input polynomial A(x) (48 or 64 bits).

The polynomial is multiplied by a standard
multiplier M(x) and then divided by a
Generator polynimial G(x). The coefficients
of the reminder R(x) form the returned hash

The algorithm is described in the "Hash Algorithm"
Section of the Hardware Reference Manual in the
documentation.

The generator polynimials used by IXP1200 for the
48 and 64 bit hash operations are listed there
as well.

Hope this helps

Mike

--