[ixp1200] ENP2505 Example Issues

Cyrus Hall hallcp at colorado.edu
Mon Apr 21 16:06:13 EDT 2003

Yong-

Yea, I've got the ENP-2505 workig pretty well these days.  The solution
to the packet spew turned out to be rather unexpected.  I ended up
having to isolate the card on a pure 100 Mbps network, in which it seems
to behave quite correctly.  Someone else recently had this same problem
and fixed it by making sure all network components where 100 Mbps as
well.

The following e-mail was recently posted by Mick in regards to this
issue:

--

I'm not sure if this applies to the ENP-2305, but it did affect the
IXP1200EB.

Some PHY devices default 10MB mode is also loop-back mode, so on a 10MB
connection, as soon as a packet is sent by the IXP1200 it gets looped
back to the IXP1200, and so the process goes on, the result is a packet
flood. The fix was either to connect to a 100MB device so the PHY would
auto-negotiate to 100MB, or to program the PHY so that in 10MB mode it
wasn't set to loopback.

--

Hope that helps,
Cyrus