[ixp1200] Can I use Vera on ENP2505?

Scott Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 26 10:40:23 EST 2003

The short answer is no.  At this time VERA does not run on
the ENP-2505.  As you note, the ENP-2505 is different from
the IXP1200 Evaluation Board.

I've taken a close look at the ENP-2505 boards (we have two
of them here) and have determined that VERA will need some
changes to get it to work with these newer boards.  The lack
of LEDs or jumpers is no big deal.  (There are DIP switches
which replace most of the jumpers.)  The two big differences
that will require code changes are the much larger SDRAM
(256MB vs. 32MB) and the fact that the IXP1200 is isolated from
the PCI bus with a 21555 non-transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge.

To avoid memory windows, VERA maps the entire SDRAM range
directly to the PCI bus.  For the 32MB evaluation boards,
this is fine.  However, I don't think we'll get away with
that on the 256MB RadiSys boards.  (When we put 3 or 4
boards in a system, it eats up PCI address space rather
quickly.)  We'll need to make a change where only a window
of the SDRAM is mapped to the PCI bus.

The 21555 non-transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge is a little
trickier.  However, since VERA already runs on the RAMiX
PMC694 (PowerPC based) board with a very similar 21554
non-transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge, VERA already has some of
the code needed to support the RadiSys board.

Scott