[ixp1200] Embedded Linux, board initialization and loading microengines

Abhijeet Joglekar abhijeet at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jun 4 07:24:04 EDT 2003

> What (else) has to be done to properly initialize the hardware ?
> Tried some ioctls() on octmac.o but could not find a promising
> sequence due to a lack of documentation on that subject.

You could start by looking at what "ixconfig" application does
when an ACE example is started. Also, take a look at ingress/egress
ACE core components, to see how they initialize the ports.

By then, you would probably understand completely how the ACE framework
works, and could use ACE instead of gleaning out code from it to make your
own library :).

The other option is to use some tools from Georgia Tech group,
see Ken's mail below. I havent used it though, and am not sure
if that is what you want.

Hi all,

  Here's an updated package of our local tools, just updated to
include a microcode loader, etc. that we use to operate the
microengines from the StrongARM under Linux without ACEs or the
workbench.

        http://www.cercs.gatech.edu/projects/asan/software.html

  Note that the StrongARM tools (in the "utils/" directory) don't
depend on our alternative host-side driver scheme, I'm just packaging
them in one tarball.