[ixp1200] IXP4XX datasheets/developers manual

Vijay Lakamraju vlakamra at ecs.umass.edu
Fri May 9 09:58:40 EDT 2003

Hi Sebastian,

   Thanks for the input.

  Well, basically, we have been trying to make a case for the
use of IXPs in some application which require good
performance but are low on the power budget. The
IXP1200's 3.5-5.0 Watt seems to be a bit too much for the
system that we are considering. So, we have tried to consider
the IXP425 but I just felt there was room for further power saving
by switching off one of the NPEs which might not be needed.

  I hope I am not wrong in surmising that the microengines of
the IXP1200 and the NPEs of the IXP425 are structurally quite the same.
  Looking at the IXP1200, it seems like the microengines are
the real power hungry components. The StrongARM consumes less
than 100mW and the rest of the components (memory interfaces,
PCI unit and FBI unit) *might* not be consuming more than 1 W.
So, does this mean that each of the microengines consumes
around 0.5 W during normal operation? And, considering that there is
no way to switch off individual microengines, how much lesser power
might a microengine consume if it were not running any code
(or put in reset mode)??

Thanks for any help,

Vijay
--
Post-Doctoral Research Associate,
Architecture & Real-time Systems (ARTS) Lab,