[ixp1200] Debugging code running on hardware using developers workbench

Craig Wampler cwamp at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Oct 4 14:07:04 EDT 2003

Hi -

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used Developer Workbench to
debug the ixp hardware (breakpoints, memory watch, etc) running linux.
I've looked for a while, but the documentation from the developer's
workbench doesn't really tell you what to do if it doesn't work, or how
exactly it is supposed to work. If you have gotten it to work, or think
that you know how, could you send me detailed directions or point me to
some detailed directions. I have tried connecting by putting in the ip
address (and I tried dns host name too) of the host that contains the
IXP card into the Workbench's hardware options (and I selected to
connect over ethernet). I tried it both from several hops away, and from
the same switch the IXP is on. When I was on the same switch, I tried
connecting both the the computer the IXP card is in, and the IP address
who's ARP entry sends packets to the IXP card. Neither works.

Our host machine and the StrongARM on the IXP are both running Linux.
The machine I'm trying to connect from is running windows XP.

If it's not possible to connect over ethernet, does anyone know of a way
to connect Developers Workbench to the IXP card using a serial cable, if
the card isn't running VxWorks?

Thanks in advance,
Craig Wampler
CS Undergrad