[ixp1200] IXP1200 sending out a flood of packets on port 3

Cyrus Hall hallcp at cs.colorado.edu
Mon Oct 20 02:47:15 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 23:55, Christopher George Baron wrote:
> After booting up embedded linux on the StrongARM, and assigning MAC
> addresses to ports 0 through 3, a flood of packets is being sent out of
> port 3 of the IXP1200.  No microengines are doing any processing.  I am
> wondering if anyone else had this problem, or an idea of what it might be.
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	Chris

This problem seems to almost always be due to a 10 Mbps
switch/hub/ethernet card somewhere in the system.  Despite what the
documentation may say, many IXP1200 boards work like crap (or, more
likely, at all) in non-idealized environments.  Make sure all your
components are good.  This solved my problems and several other labs as
well.

Cyrus Hall
Computer Science at the University of Colorado