[ixp1200] How do ME-ME rings work?

Christopher Hall chrish at pdx.edu
Tue Oct 21 18:20:39 EDT 2003

I currently have code loaded and running on the IXP1200 as follows: ME 0-1
are running the FastIngress code (1 gigabit port), ME 2-3-4 are running
processing code (packet counting of various sorts), ME 5 is running
FastEgress code.  Now, I need to be able to send packets from one
microengine to another preferably without involving the StrongARM.  I'm
thinking that the ME-ME ring may provide me with what I need, but I can't
see how packets are enqueued and dequeued.  The DL_MESink macro seems to
enqueue a packet, but there is no corresponding code to dequeue a packet.
My understanding so far is that the packet is dequeued by the egress code.
Can the ME-ME ring(s) be used (adapted) for passing packets between
microengines, or do I need to write my own queue/dequeue code?

Thanks, Chris