[ixp1200] Problem running packet transmitting code

Mohammad Shorfuzzaman szaman at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Apr 20 08:00:02 EDT 2004

Hi everybody,
I tried to run the packet transmittng code (Chap 9) from IXP1200 programming
book. In function "bridging.c", hashIO_t has structure like:

typedef struct {
	unsigned int	hash_lo32;
	unsigned int	hash_hi16 : 16;
	unsigned int 	pad : 16;
} hashIO_t;
If I compile the code, it gives an error regarding "hash_hi16: 16" field:
"error :  intrinsic data buffer "hashInput_103$1$0" cannot be read"

But if I remove specifying the number of bits I mean only "unsigned int
hash_hi16" it compiles fine, though logically it's not correct.

Any help why it's happenning and how can I solve the problem?

Thanks,
Shorfuzzaman.