[ixp1200] Using the Ethernet ports of BV card

Ing. Ricardo Camarena Ramos camarena at itesm.mx
Mon Aug 9 11:24:40 EDT 2004

Hi, I?m trying to simulate in hardware the practice number 5. I have a BV
card. The results I got when simulating in Workbench are correct, however
when simulating with the card I never got any packages to count. I must
say that I have simulated in hardware practice 3 (writing an array to memory
and reverse it) and everything worked fine, I even used a tool from Gergia
Tech to look at the memory of the board to double check the results.

So here is what I have investigated until now, the value of rcv_rdy_lo when
simulating only with Workbench is x1, x2, x4 and x8 when feeding packets
in ports 1,2,3 and 4. Up to here is correct. When I change to hardware and
after loading ue.o , running rs_udebug and assigning MACs through octmac.o
the rcv_rdy_lo behaves incorrectly. It gives x200, x400, or x800 for packets
arriving at ports 2, 3 and 4 (and nothing when feeding in port 1). I got
a document indicating this problem has to do with an different distribution
of MACs in the IX-Bus and instructed to me to apply these corrections:

Replace the config_1200.cpp  located in

/opt/ixasdk/src/microace/common/wbench/SA1_CoreLibs/app_1200/

Replace board.h a located in

/opt/ixasdk/enp-2505/src/linuxIXAedu/include/asm-arm/arch-ixp1200

Recompile kernel and octmac module
cd /opt/ixasdk/enp-2505/src/linuxIXAedu
make oldconfig
make dep
make zImage

cd /opt/ixasdk/src/microace/aces/interface_ace/source/driver/octdrv/
make
make install

I verify zImage and octmac.o were updated, but I got the same results. It
seems the corrections are not working.

The last test I did was to modify the practice five writing the counters
to SRAM instead to scratch, so I can inspect the memory with the Georgia
Tech tools, but I got the same results. No packets are count. Any help or
tip to solve this problem is very appreciated.

Ricardo Camarena Ramos
Asistente de Investigación
División de Profesional y Graduados, Campus Estado de México
Premio Nacional de Calidad 1998

Teléfono: (5255)5864.5555 x 3208, 5864.5660
camarena at itesm.mx
enlace-intercampus: 80.236.3208, www.cem.itesm.mx

Tecnológico de Monterrey,
60 AÑOS COMPROMETIDOS CON LA EXCELENCIA EDUCATIVA

Hoy mejor que ayer, y mañana mejor que hoy.