[ixp1200] fixing module versioning Was: RE: booting over PCI (ENP boards)...

Willem de Bruijn wdebruij at dds.nl
Sat Jun 12 04:00:22 EDT 2004

He Ricardo,

  from what I read your problem really isn't IXP specific. To get modules
loaded in the first place I suggest you remove the EXTRAVERSION tag. Linux
fails to load modules built for other systems, but in most cases 2.4.18
modules can be easily swapped. This is especially true of the pciDg drivers,
as they're fairly simple. Simply rebuild them for 2.4.18 (or switch your
kernel back to 2.4.17)

  Second, when the modules have been loaded succesfully try to look at your
kernel message log with dmesg for statements regarding failure of network
device detection. If nothing comes up you might want to do an ifconfig -a to
see if a new device exists.

 I hope this helps. For more information on modules you might want to check
out the kernel module programming guide or the all round excellent resource
Linux Device Drivers published by O'Reilly and freely available at
http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/

Willem
--
Willem de Bruijn
+31 6 2695 2446

current project :
Fairly Fast Packet Filter (FFPF)
http://ffpf.sourceforge.net/

--
Dit bericht is gescand op virussen en andere gevaarlijke inhoud door ULCN MailScanner en het bericht lijkt schoon te zijn.
This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by ULCN MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.