[ixp1200] Doubt reg. Floating Point Operations support in IXP 1200

David Mentre Mentre at tcl.ite.mee.com
Tue Mar 9 04:15:52 EST 2004

Hello Romit,

Oh, I see. The CONFIG_FPE_FASTFPE option adds an handler on FP exception, so
it also works within the kernel. I was wrong for that.

> You are
> right we are
> not supposed to do FP operations in Kernel but my
> understanding is that,
> if we do really need FP operations in kernel we have to
> explicitly save
> the FP context. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think you are right. However it might raise subtle bugs if you fail to
save/restore the FP context at one scheduling point.

> By the way, if we dont enable CONFIG_FPE_FASTFPE, cant we
> still use libm
> from userspace?

I don't know.

Yours,
d.
--
David Mentré <mentre at tcl.ite.mee.com> - Research engineer (Ph.D.)
Mitsubishi Electric ITE-TCL / European Telecommunication Research Lab