[ixp1200] plugging an IXP1200 eval board into a regular PC causes infinite reboot

wdebruij at dds.nl wdebruij at dds.nl
Wed Mar 31 03:57:12 EST 2004

Hi all,

  to be able to use the evaluation boards on a regular basis I would like to
move them onto a regular (active) PCI backplane. From the VERA project
documentation I've gotten quite useful information, and from the georgia tech
PCI drivers for the ENP I've managed to write to the card over PCI just fine.
However, I'm experiencing a strange problem that I hope someone has seen before:

when I plug in the board it keeps resetting itself. This appears to be related
to the BootMgr software, as it nicely waits for user input when I enter its menu
by pressing space. Running cygmon or the diagnostics will immediately reset the
board, though. I'm using the netwinder flash with cygmon on a B0 board, by the way.

at first I thought that it might have to do with receiving a possible interrupt
from the backplane, but having tried all interrupt lines (and none at all), this
does not appear to be the problem. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

On a related note: we're trying to get the eval boards working as ENP boards, ie
booting linux over PCI. So far I've managed to write drivers for directly
accessing the onboard pci from the host in kernelspace and through mmmap in
userspace. In case anyone's interested, the sources can be found in CVS on
ffpf.sourceforge.net . As soon as I've worked out the last bugs I'll supply a
regular distribution.