[Ml-stat-talks] Statistics Seminar, Friday Oct 15th, 12:30pm, Sherrerd Hall 213

Jelena Bradic jbradic at Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 13 15:52:49 EDT 2010

Dear all,

This is an announcement of a new Statistics Seminar talks that is
happening this Friday at 12:30pm in ORFE 213.

Title: "Know your epidemic: Social network approaches to studying
hidden populations most at-risk for HIV"

Abstract: There are an estimated 33 million people living with HIV
worldwide.  In most countries, these infections are concentrated
within three groups: drug injectors, men who have sex with men, and
sex workers.  Unfortunately, standard sampling methods are poorly
suited for studying these groups, and the resulting lack of data
about the sizes and disease prevalence of these groups limits efforts
to design and evaluate policy to slow the spread of the disease.  In
this talk, I will present two new network-based sampling methods for
studying these hidden populations that are rapidly becoming standard
methods in global public health: respondent-driven sampling and the
network scale-up method.  I will present results from a recent study
estimating the number of heavy drug users in Curitiba, Brazil, and I
will discuss plans for upcoming national-level studies in Brazil
(n=25,000) and Rwanda (n=6,000).  Finally, I will discuss important
open problems with both methods, and how these methods relate to
problems of sampling in networks more generally.

Best,
Jelena Bradic