[Ml-stat-talks] Percy Liang, Wed. April 6, 4:30PM

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Apr 1 13:10:15 EDT 2011

hi ml-stat-talks

next thursday's colloquium speaker is percy liang.  percy is a
fantastic researcher and speaker.  as usual, i mean it: this is not to
be missed!

From: Nicole E. Wagenblast <nwagenbl at cs.princeton.edu>
Date: Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM
Subject: [talks] Colloquium Speaker, Percy Liang, Wed. April 6
To: "Talks (colloquium)" <talks at lists.cs.princeton.edu>

Deep Semantics from Shallow Supervision
Percy Liang, UC Berkeley
Wednesday April 6, 4:30pm
Computer Science 105

What is the total population of the ten largest capitals in the US?
Building a system to answer free-form questions such as this requires
modeling the deep semantics of language. But to develop practical,
scalable systems, we want to avoid the costly manual annotation of
these deep semantic structures and instead learn from just
surface-level supervision, e.g., question/answer pairs. To this end,
we develop a new tree-based semantic representation which has
favorable linguistic and computational properties, along with an
algorithm that induces this hidden representation. Using our approach,
we obtain significantly higher accuracy on the task of question
answering compared to existing state-of-the-art methods, despite using
less supervision.

Percy Liang obtained a B.S. (2004) and an M.S. (2005) from MIT and is
now completing his Ph.D. at UC Berkeley with Michael Jordan and Dan
Klein. The general theme of his research, which spans machine learning
and natural language processing, is learning richly-structured
statistical models from limited supervision. He has won a best student
paper at the International Conference on Machine Learning in 2008,
received the NSF, GAANN, and NDSEG fellowships, and is also a 2010
Siebel Scholar.