[Ml-stat-talks] FW: PACM Colloquium 11/28/11

Amit Singer amits at math.Princeton.EDU
Sun Nov 27 21:04:54 EST 2011

Hi,

Andrea Montanari from Stanford is giving a talk tomorrow (Monday) - please
see details below.

Best,

Amit

From: Valerie Marino [mailto:vmarino at math.princeton.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:28 PM
To: pacm-colloquium at math.princeton.edu
Cc: vmarino at math.princeton.edu
Subject: PACM Colloquium 11/28/11

DATE: Monday, Nov. 28, 2011

PLACE: 214 Fine Hall

TIME: 4:30 pm

SPEAKER: Andrea Montanari, Stanford University

TITLE: Sharp Thresholds in Statistical Estimation

ABSTRACT:
Sharp thresholds are ubiquitous high-dimensional combinatorial structures.
The oldest example is probably the sudden emergence of the giant component
in random graphs, first discovered by Erdos an Renyi. More recently,
threshold phenomena have started to play an important role in some
statistical learning and statistical signal processing problems, in part
because of the interest in 'compressed sensing'. The basic setting is one in
which a large number of noisy observations of a high-dimensional object are
made. As the ratio of the number of observations to the number of `hidden
dimensions' crosses a threshold, our ability to reconstruct the object
increases dramatically. I will discuss several examples of this phenomenon,
and some algorithmic and mathematical ideas that allow to characterize these
threshold phenomena. [based on joint work with Mohsen Bayati, David Donoho,
Iain Johnstone, Arian Maleki]

Coffee & Tea will be served at 3:55 p.m. in 217A Fine Hall