[Ml-stat-talks] Wed: Bob Wilson on change-point problems

David Mimno mimno at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Apr 10 14:14:38 EDT 2012

For this week's Machine Learning lunch, we have Bob Wilson from psychology.

CS402, 12:30, Wednesday

Title: Change we can believe in?  Exact and biologically plausible algorithms
for inference in change-point problems

Abstract:

Whether it is a stock market crash, falling in love, or task switching
in controlled behavioral experiment, life is full of “change‐points”
that cause the rules of the game to change abruptly, often without
warning. To thrive in these circumstances, individuals must recognize
these events quickly and adapt their behavior accordingly – for
example by pulling out their money, putting on cologne, or adopting
the appropriate task rules.

In this talk I will review an exact algorithm for inference in
change-point problems before showing how this can be approximated with
biologically plausible hardware.