[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Computational and Online Social Science (CAOSS)

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Aug 20 18:43:41 EDT 2012

hi ml-stat-talks

this event is in nyc, but it looks quite interesting.

We invite participants to the inaugural workshop on Computational and
Online Social Science (CAOSS), to be held Friday, October 12, 2012 at
Columbia University. Details at:

     http://caossnyc.org

With an explosion of data on every aspect of our everyday existence --
from what we buy, to where we travel, to who we know -- we are able to
observe human behavior with granularity largely thought impossible
just a decade ago. The growth of such online activity has further
facilitated the design of web-based experiments, enhancing both the
scale and efficiency of traditional methods. Together these advances
have created an unprecedented opportunity to address longstanding
questions in the social sciences, ranging from sociology to political
science to economics and beyond. The inaugural 2012 workshop on
Computational and Online Social Science (CAOSS) aims to bring together
diverse research communities that work at the intersection of computer
science and social sciences to build a lasting foundation for this
emerging discipline.

The program features invited speakers Sinan Aral (NYU), David Jensen
(UMass), Jure Leskovec (Stanford), David Reiley (Google), and Duncan
Watts (Microsoft).

Call for Participation. As space is limited, we ask that you please
complete the free registration form at
http://caossnyc.org/registration if you plan to attend. Additionally,
if you would like to present your work as a short talk or poster,
please submit an abstract when registering. Submissions will be
accepted through September 14th and funding is available for student
presenters.

We encourage you to pass this information on to others who may be
interested. Please contact us at admin at caossnyc.org if you have any
additional questions.

CAOSS is made possible by the genererous support of Microsoft
Research, eBay Research, Facebook, Google, the Applied Statistics
Center at Columbia University, ACM SIGecom, and Johnson Research Lab.

We hope to see you at the workshop!
David, Jake, Sergei, and Sharad

--
David K. Park, PhD
Director, Special Projects

"The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis
by an ugly fact."
-- Thomas H. Huxley