[Ml-stat-talks] Matt Salganik: Methods seminar (Friday)

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 1 15:55:12 EST 2012

hi ml-stat-talks

matt salganik will be giving a talk tomorrow at noon.  matt's work is
fascinating.  but don't take my word for it.  see below.

From: In Song Kim <insong at PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Salganik: Methods seminar (Friday)
Date: February 28, 2012 11:53:10 AM EST
To: <polmeth at Princeton.EDU>

Hello everyone,

Matthew J. Salganik will present his paper on Friday (3/2) at Methods
seminar. The title of his paper is "Wiki surveys:Open and quantifiable social
data collection".

The paper is posted on the polmeth webpage.

  http://www.princeton.edu/politics/graduate/courses/seminars/polmethseminar/

We will meet in Corwin 127 on Friday at noon.  Lunch will be served

Abstract

Research about attitudes and opinions is central to social science and
relies on two common methodological approaches: surveys and
interviews. While surveys enable the quanti cation of large amounts of
information quickly and at a reasonable cost, they are routinely
criticized for being \top-down" and rigid. In contrast, interviews
allow unanticipated information to \bubble up" directly from
respondents, but are slow, expensive, and di cult to quantify.
Advances in computing technology now enable a hybrid approach that
combines the quanti ability of a survey and the openness of an
interview; we call this new class of data collection tools wiki
surveys. Drawing on principles underlying successful information
aggregation projects, such as Wikipedia, we propose three general
criteria that wiki surveys should satisfy: they should be greedy,
collaborative, and adaptive. We then present results from
www.allourideas.org, a free and open-source website we created that
enables groups all over the world to deploy wiki surveys. To date,
about 1,500 wiki surveys have been created, and they have collected
over 60,000 ideas and 2.5 million votes. We describe the
methodological challenges involved in collecting and analyzing this
type of data and present case studies of wiki surveys created by the
New York City Mayor's O ce and the Organisation for Economic
Co-operation and Development (OECD). We conclude with a discussion of
limitations, many of which may be overcome with additional research.