[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: PACM Colloquium - 3/26/12

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Mar 22 15:17:42 EDT 2012

this looks to be a very interesting talk.

From: Valerie Marino <vmarino at math.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Subject: PACM Colloquium - 3/26/12
To: pacm-colloquium at math.princeton.edu
Cc: vmarino at math.princeton.edu

DATE: Monday, March 26 , 2012

PLACE: 214 Fine Hall

TIME: 4:30 pm

SPEAKER: Sayan Mukherjee, Duke University

TITLE: Geometry and Topology in Dimension Reduction

ABSTRACT:
In the first part of the talk we describe how learning the gradient of
a regression function can be used for supervised dimension reduction
(SDR). We provide an algorithm for learning gradients in
high-dimensional data, provide theoretical guarantees for the
algorithm, and provide a statistical interpretation. Comparisons to
other methods on real and simulated data are presented. In the second
part of the talk we present preliminary results on using the Laplacian
on forms for dimension reduction. This involves understanding
higher-order versions of the isoperimetric inequality for both
manfifolds and abstract simplicial complexes.

Coffee & Tea will be served at 3:55 p.m. in 217A Fine Hall