[Ml-stat-talks] Wilks Statistics Seminar - Andrew Nobel - Tomorrow, May 4 at 1:30 PM in Sherrerd 101

Ahmet Emre Barut abarut at Princeton.EDU
Thu May 3 18:18:27 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Tomorrow, May 4, Andrew Nobel from UNC Chapel Hill<http://www.unc.edu/~nobel/> will give a talk as part of the Wilks Statistics Seminar Series. Talk is in Sherrerd 101 at 1:30 PM.

Title: On the Maximal Size of Large-Average and ANOVA-fit Submatrices of a Gaussian Random Matrix<http://arxiv.org/pdf/1009.0562v1.pdf>
Abstract: In this talk I will present and discuss several results concerning the maximal size of distinguished submatrices of a Gaussian random matrix. Of interest are submatrices whose entries have average greater than a given positive threshold, and submatrices whose entries are well fit by a simple two-way ANOVA model. For simplicity, the talk will focus on square matrices and square submatrices. I will present size thresholds and associated probability bounds for large-average and ANOVA-fit submatrices, and a more refined result that guarantees finite-interval concentration for the size of large average submatrices. The talk will also describe the origins of this work in biclustering of gene expression data, and the general method of proof. This is joint work with Xing Sun.

Best,
Emre