[Ml-stat-talks] Damien Ernst

Warren Powell powell at princeton.edu
Tue Nov 27 16:13:12 EST 2012

Damien Ernst will be speaking in the ORFE seminar series at 4:30pm pm on
Tuesday, December 4, Room 101 of Sherrerd Hall.

Title and abstract are below.

Warren Powell

TITLE:   Batch Mode Reinforcement Learning based on the Synthesis of Artificial
Trajectories

ABSTRACT:  In this talk, we consider the batch mode reinforcement
learning setting, where the central problem is to learn from a sample of
trajectories a policy that satisfies or optimizes a performance criterion.
We focus on the continuous state space case for which usual resolution
schemes rely on function approximators either to represent the underlying
control problem or to represent its value function. As an alternative to
the use of function approximators, we rely on the synthesis of
"artificial trajectories"
from the given sample of trajectories, and show that this idea opens new
avenues for designing and analyzing algorithms for batch mode reinforcement
learning.