[Ml-stat-talks] AT&T Distinguished Speaker Series ~ Bret Victor ~ Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 3:30 PM

DI FABBRIZIO, GIUSEPPE (GIUSEPPE) pino at research.att.com
Mon Sep 24 09:20:12 EDT 2012

Talk announcement:

DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER SERIES

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD8CEB.363F8C70]

    Title: Taking off the blindfold: Visualizing dynamic state

    Speaker: Bret Victor

Time and Place: Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 3:30 - 4:30 PM
                              FP C050 (Florham Park Auditorium)
                              Simulcast MT A3-4G23
                              Also available via AT&T Connect (details below)
                              Reception: 4:30 - 5:30 PM at Florham Park Main Lobby

ABSTRACT

Imagine a painter who steps up to the easel, ties a blindfold around his eyes, and begins to paint.  Every few minutes he peeks under the blindfold, catches a brief glimpse of how the painting compares to the picture in his head, and then tugs the blindfold back down to apply a few more brushstokes.
As programmers, we think of ourselves as producing code, but code is merely the medium, a means to an end.  The purpose of code is to manipulate data, and patterns of data are our true product.  And as data artists, we work blindfolded, grasping at invisible data structures, imagining them in our heads, occasionally executing our programs for a brief peek at reality before continuing to blindly code.
This talk will demonstrate techniques and environments that make the dynamic state of a program visible and tangible, and encourage programmers to examine and respond to data as part of the coding process.  Throw away the blindfold, and dare to see the data while creating the code.

BIOGRAPHY

Bret Victor invents tools that enable people to understand and create.  He has designed experimental UI concepts at Apple, interactive data graphics for Al Gore, and musical instruments at Alesis.  He is the author of "Magic Ink: Information Software and the Graphical Interface", and recently presented "Inventing on Principle".

REGISTRATION

http://att-dss-bret.eventbrite.com

AT&T Labs - Research<http://www.research.att.com>

 *   Directions<http://www.research.att.com/directions>