[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Minicourse on Spectral Methods, June 20-21

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jun 10 15:52:57 EDT 2013

ml-stat-talks,

was COLT not enough?  next week: all-star mini-course on spectral
methods.  see the announcement below.

Princeton Minicourse on Spectral Methods
June 20-21

http://intractability.princeton.edu/blog/2013/06/princeton-minicourse-on-spectral-methods/

In recent years spectral methods have been a central tool in the
design of new algorithms, approximation algorithms and have found
important applications in graph theory and data analysis. This summer
we will have a two day minicourse to introduce the fundamentals and
work our way up towards some of the more advanced, recent
applications. Tentatively, we plan to cover some of the following
advanced topics: construction of expanders, fast solvers for Laplacian
systems, spectral sparsification, higher-order Cheeger inequalities
with applications to unique games and SDP hierarchies, and emerging
uses of spectral methods in data analysis and learning.

Lecturers: Luca Trevisan (Stanford), Prasad Raghavendra (Berkeley),
Ankur Moitra (IAS), Moses Charikar (Princeton).

Location: Princeton Computer Science department (Friend Center 008).

Registration: Registration is free, but required due to limited seating.
Please register by Friday, Jun 14 so we have an accurate headcount for lunch.

Accomodation: We do have some dorm rooms on campus available for
workshop participants.
Send email to register.spectral13 at gmail.com with the subject "dorm
room" to request a room.