[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: PSY/PNI Colloquium - Wei Ji Ma - 3-13-13

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Mar 5 16:18:32 EST 2013

all,

i'm assured from a very reliable neuroscientific source (ken norman)
that this talk relates to ML and stats, specifically about theories of
how the brain represents uncertainty and how the brain might do
probabilistic computation.

and note that the "langfeld lounge" is the old psychology library
reading room on the 1st floor of green hall.

---

PSYCHOLOGY/ PNI

COLLOQUIUM

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wei Ji Ma

BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

“The Limitations of Visual Short-Term Memory”

The classic view of visual short-term memory (VSTM) is that it is
limited to a fixed, small number of items, e.g. Miller’s “magical
number” 7±2 or Cowan’s 4±1. We and others have challenged this view
and proposed that VSTM resource is a continuous (graded) quantity
allocated to all items. I will present converging lines of evidence
for this proposal. This debate has implications for many central
issues in the study of VSTM, including how objects are stored, how
VSTM relates to visual attention, and the neural basis of VSTM.

Time and Place

1:30 PM – 2:30 PM

Green Hall, Langfeld Lounge