[Ml-stat-talks] talk by Jake Abernethy, tue, 4/2, 4:30pm, CS105

Robert Schapire schapire at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Mar 29 14:18:16 EDT 2013

*Learning in an Adversarial World, with Connections to Pricing, Hedging,
and Routing*
*Jacob Duncan Abernethy <http://www.seas.upenn.edu/%7Ejaber/>*,
University of Pennsylvania <http://www.upenn.edu/>
Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 4:30pm
Computer Science 105

Machine Learning is often viewed through the lens of statistics, where
one tries to model or fit a set of data under stochastic conditions; for
example, it is typical to assume one's observations were sampled IID.
However, dating back to results of Blackwell and Hannan from the 1950s
we know how to construct learning and decision strategies that possess
robust guarantees even under adversarial conditions. Within this setting
the goal of the learner is to "minimize regret" against any sequence of
inputs. In this talk we lay out the framework, discuss some recent
results, and we finish by exploring a couple of surprising applications
and connections, including: (a) market making in combinatorial
prediction markets, (b) routing with limited feedback, and (c) hedging
derivative securities (e.g. European option contracts) in the
worst-case, with a connection to the classical Black-Scholes
option-pricing model.

Jake received his undergraduate degree in Mathematics from MIT in 2002
and a Master's degree in Computer Science from TTI-C in 2006. He
recently finished a PhD in Computer Science at UC Berkeley, advised by
Peter Bartlett, and he is now the Simons Postdoctoral Fellow at
University of Pennsylvania. Jake has a particular focus on the
intersection between machine learning, games and markets.