[Ml-stat-talks] matt taddy: monday november 11 at 1:30pm

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Nov 5 21:55:27 EST 2013

ml-stat-talks

mark your calendars for next monday november 11 at 1:30pm.  matt taddy
from the university of chicago will discuss inverse regression,
including his latest JASA discussion paper "multinomial inverse
regression for text analysis".  matt has deep intuitions, interesting
results, and a fresh perspective on analyzing massive discrete data
sets.

the details are below my signature.

---

Inverse Regression for Analysis of Big Count Data
Matthew Taddy
University of Chicago

Monday, November 11
1:30PM
Computer Science, Room 301

Much of the data we encounter occur as counts in a massive number of
categories: think of word usage in text mining, or domain visits in
web analytics. This data is accompanied by a smaller set of attributes
-- associated with, say, an author or IP address -- and we want to be
able to build a model that will be useful when some of these
attributes are unobserved.  This talk will discuss multinomial inverse
regression as a strategy for projecting from high-dimensional counts
onto such a set of attributes.  We'll consider the computational and
statistical reasons one would want to do this, and consider a series
of examples on how the techniques can work (or not work) in both
inference and prediction.