[Ml-stat-talks] Elchanan Mossel - tomorrow

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 6 10:37:32 EST 2013

Dear all,

Just a reminder of the special math colloquium by Elchanan Mossel tomorrow
(Thursday) at 3-4 PM in Fine 314.  This is not to be missed by anyone
interested in mathematical statistics, learning, theoretical computer
science, probability theory, statistical mechanics, random graphs, ...

See below for further information.  Amit has also pointed out that
Elchanan is further giving a lunch talk tomorrow at noon in the Fine Hall
Common Room (third floor) on extremal sets in isoperimetry.  I could not
find an abstract posted for this, but it will surely be fantastic also!

   -- Ramon

Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 3:00pm to 4:00pm

SPECIAL COLLOQUIUM

Speaker: Elchanan Mossel, UC Berkeley

Event Location: Fine Hall 314

Title: On sparse block models

Block models are random graph models which have been extensively studied
in statistics and theoretical computer science as models of communities
and clustering. A conjecture from statistical physics by Decelle et. al
predicts an exact formula for the location of the phase transition for
statistical detection for this model. I will discuss recent progress
towards a proof of the conjecture. Along the way, I will outline some of
the mathematics relating a popular inference algorithm named belief
propagation, the zeta functions of random graphs and Gibbs measure on
trees. Based on joint works with Joe Neeman and Allan Sly.