[Ml-stat-talks] PACM Colloquium today - The statistical price to pay for computational efficiency

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Mon Oct 21 12:58:05 EDT 2013

Dear all, the PACM colloquium this afternoon by our very own Philippe
Rigollet should be very interesting (see below).  Best, -- Ramon

----------------------------

PACM Colloquium

Title: The statistical price to pay for computational efficiency

Speaker: Philippe Rigollet - Princeton University - ORFE

Date: Oct 21 2013 - 4:30pm

Room: 214 Fine Hall

Abstract:

The ever increasing size of current datasets has made computation an
essential aspect of the design of statistical procedures. Yet, current
notions of statistical optimality rely on information theoretic
considerations that completely ignore the computation question. In this
work, we develop a new notion of optimality among computationally
efficient methods. Building on average-case reductions from the planted
clique problem, we establish optimality of various testing procedures in
the context of sparse principal component analysis and quantify the
statistical price to pay for computational efficiency. [Joint work with
Quentin Berthet]