[Ml-stat-talks] Math Colloquium - Elchanan Mossel (UC Berkeley) - November 7

Philippe Rigollet rigollet at Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 24 11:27:12 EDT 2013

Mark your calendars, this talk looks really good!

Speaker:  Elchanan Mossel, UC Berkeley
Event Location: Fine Hall 314
Thursday, November 7, 2013 - 3:00pm to 4:00pm
Title: On sparse block models

Block models are random graph models which have been extensively studied in statistics and theoretical computer science as models of communities and clustering. A conjecture from statistical physics by Decelle et. al predicts an exact formula for the location of the phase transition for statistical detection for this model. I will discuss recent progress towards a proof of the conjecture. Along the way, I will outline some of the mathematics relating a popular inference algorithm named belief propagation, the zeta functions of random graphs and Gibbs measure on trees. Based on joint works with Joe Neeman and Allan Sly.

--
Philippe Rigollet
www.princeton.edu/~rigollet<http://www.princeton.edu/~rigollet>