[Ml-stat-talks] EE/ORFE Seminar - April 3 - Patrick Wolfe

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 2 14:55:04 EDT 2014

Dear all,
Patrick Wolfe is giving an EE/ORFE seminar tomorrow at 4:30 PM in Sherrerd 101
on statistics in networks.  See title and abstract below.  Best, -- R

Speaker: Patrick J. Wolfe, University College London
Title:   Histograms, graph limits, and the asymptotic behavior of large networks
Date:    Thursday, April 3, 2014
Time:    4:30 pm
Room:    Sherrerd Hall, Room 101
Host:    Dean Vincent Poor

Abstract: In this talk - which will be accessible to a general audience - we
show how the asymptotic behavior of large networks can be exploited for
nonparametric statistical inference, using recent developments from the theory
of graph limits and the corresponding analog of de Finetti's theorem. We
introduce the notion of a network histogram, obtained by fitting a stochastic
blockmodel to a single observation of a network dataset. Blocks of edges play
the role of histogram bins, and community sizes that of histogram bandwidths or
bin sizes.

Working within the framework of exchangeable arrays subject to bond
percolation, we prove consistency of network histogram estimation under general
conditions, giving rates of convergence which include the important practical
setting of sparse networks.  Joint work with David Choi
(http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.4093) and Sofia Olhede
(http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.5936/, http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.5306/).