[Ml-stat-talks] PACM Distinguished Lecture: Jennifer Chayes, Thursday, December 4, 8pm

Amit Singer amits at math.Princeton.EDU
Wed Dec 3 19:31:07 EST 2014

http://www.pacm.princeton.edu/dls14

PACM Distinguished Lecture

Speaker: Jennifer Chayes, Microsoft

Thursday, December 4, 2014

8:00 p.m., A01 McDonnell Hall

"Belief Propagation Algorithms: From Matching Problems to Network Discovery
in Cancer Genomics"

Abstract: We review a certain class of algorithms, belief propagation
algorithms, inspired by the study of phase transitions in computationally
difficult problems. We show how these algorithms can be used both in the
mathematical analysis of relatively simple problems like matching, and in
the heuristic analysis of more complex problems. In particular, we show how
particular forms of these algorithms can be used to discover pathways in
cancer genomics, and to suggest possible drug targets for cancer therapy.
These methods give us the ability to share information across multiple
patients to help reconstruct highly patient-specific networks and potential
treatments.

 <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/jchayes/> Click here to read
more about our speaker.