[Ml-stat-talks] ORFE Colloquium: John Duchi, Feb. 18 at 4:30pm, Sherrerd Hall 101

Philippe Rigollet rigollet at Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 12 09:54:32 EST 2014

=== ORFE Colloquium Announcement ===

DATE:  Tuesday, February 18, 2014

TIME:  4:30pm

LOCATION:  Sherrerd Hall room 101

SPEAKER:  John Duchi, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley

TITLE:  Computation, Communication, and Privacy Constraints on Statistical Estimation

ABSTRACT:  How do we integrate practical considerations---such as computation, privacy, or communication---into a rigorous theory of estimation? In this talk, I discuss bringing these criteria in as constraints in a minimax analysis of estimation, combining classical decision-theoretic ideas with techniques from optimization and information theory to understand the fundamental difficulties of the problems. By developing procedures that attain these lower bounds, we obtain estimators that trade against a variety of criteria for performance. I will conclude with real-world applications and examples in which our procedures exhibit good practical performance.
--
Philippe Rigollet
www.princeton.edu/~rigollet