[Ml-stat-talks] IDeAS Seminar Today Wednesday Feb 19, 2014 @ 3:00 pm

Amit Singer amits at math.Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 19 10:27:23 EST 2014

DATE: Wednesday  February 19 , 2014

SEMINAR:  IDeAS Seminar

PLACE: 110 Fine Hall

TIME: 3:00 pm

SPEAKER: Ronen Basri - Weizmann Institute

TITLE: Matching image content with bounded distortion

ABSTRACT:

Finding corresponding points between images is challenging, particularly
when objects change their pose non-rigidly, in wide-baseline conditions, or
when instances of a perceptual category are compared. In this talk I will
present an algorithm for finding a geometrically consistent set of point
matches between two images. Given a set of candidate matches that may
include many outliers, our method seeks the largest subset of these
correspondences that can be aligned using a non-rigid deformation that
exerts a bounded distortion. I will discuss theoretical guarantees and show
experimentally that this algorithm produces excellent results on a number of
test sets, in comparison to several state-of-the-art approaches. In the
second part of the talk I will introduce a convex framework for problems
that involve singular values. Specifically, the framework enables
optimization of functionals and constraints expressed in terms of the
extremal singular values of matrices. I will show applications of this
framework in geometry processing problems such as non-rigid shape
registration and computing extremal quasi-conformal maps.

This is joint work with Yaron Lipman, Stav Yagev, Roi Poranne, David Jacobs,
Shahar Kovalsky and Noam Aigerman.