[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Reminder: SPECIAL PACM Colloquium today at 4:30 pm

David Blei blei at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon May 5 15:33:43 EDT 2014

ml-stat-talks

this is in an hour, but well worth sending out.  see patrick wolfe
speak (and read his arxiv papers).

From: Valerie Marino <vmarino at math.princeton.edu>
Date: Mon, May 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Subject: Reminder:  SPECIAL PACM Colloquium today at 4:30 pm
To: Colloquium <pacm-colloquium at math.princeton.edu>

DATE: Monday, May 5,  2014

PLACE: 214 Fine Hall - SPECIAL PACM COLLOQUIUM

TIME: 4:30 pm

SPEAKER: PJ Wolfe, Royal Society Research Fellow (UCL)

TITLE: Graph limits and planted partitions from the perspective of
probability and statistics

ABSTRACT:
The theory of dense graph limits has emerged as a well established
tool in modern combinatorics, with close connections to applied
probability and ergodic theory.  In this talk we answer a
probabilist's question first posed by Aldous and subsequently pursued
by Kallenberg: given a single observation of a large network generated
by a graph limit function (graphon) subject to bond percolation, how
much information can we recover about the data-generating model?
Results come by way of blockmodels, which generalize the ideas
underlying the planted partition problem in theoretical computer
science, as well as the community detection problem in applications of
network clustering to the social and biological sciences.  These
results describe the natural completion of the space of such models,
and significantly broaden their applicability in practice.  See
http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.4093 (with D Choi) and
http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.5306/ (with SC Olhede) for related results
and applications.

--