[Ml-stat-talks] IDeAS Seminar Today @ 3:00 pm

Amit Singer amits at math.Princeton.EDU
Wed Oct 8 10:57:29 EDT 2014

DATE: Wednesday  October 8, 2014

SEMINAR:  IDeAS Seminar

PLACE: 110 Fine Hall

TIME: 3:00 pm

SPEAKER:Nir Sharon - Tel Aviv University

TITLE: A class of Laplacian multiwavelets bases for high-dimensional data

We introduce a framework for representing functions defined on
high-dimensional
data. In this framework, we propose to use the eigenvectors of the graph
Laplacian
to construct a multiresolution analysis on the data. This results in a one
parameter
family of orthogonal bases, which includes both Haar basis as well as the
eigenvectors of the graph Laplacian. We describe a discrete fast transform
for expansion in any of the bases in this family, and derive an asymptotic
rate of coefficients decay. The question of measuring the smoothness of
discrete functions is also addressed based on a discrete analogue of Besov
spaces. We demonstrate our construction using several numerical examples and
an application of the proposed bases to the compression of hyperspectral
images.

This is a joint work with Yoel Shkolnisky.