[Ml-stat-talks] Blackboard Sessions: Elchanan Mossel on Friday, Sept. 12

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Mon Sep 8 10:01:46 EDT 2014

We are very pleased to announce the second Blackboard sessions at Princeton:
Elchanan Mossel will speak this Friday on the stability of discrete functions
(title and abstract are below). This should be of interest to anyone working in
probability, statistics, theoretical CS, information theory, applied
mathematics, ... don't miss it!

SPEAKER: Elchanan Mossel (UC Berkeley/UPenn)

LOCATION: Sherrerd Hall, Room 101.

DATE and TIME: Friday, September 12

1:30 PM - 3:00 PM: First session
3:00 PM - 3:30 PM: Tea
3:30 PM - 5:00 PM: Second session

The purpose of the blackboard sessions is to give an introduction to/overview
of ideas, results, techniques, problems, and challenges in an exciting area of
research. This is a fantastic opportunity for our faculty and students to be
introduced to an active research direction, and potentially to initiate new
research projects and interactions. The topics are chosen to attract a broad
audience. No preliminary knowledge of the field is required. The talks are on
the blackboard.

We are looking forward to seeing many of you on Friday!

Best regards,

   Philippe Rigollet
   Ramon van Handel

TITLE: Stability of Discrete Functions

ABSTRACT: A key feature of sets or volumes in space is their surface area. Sets
of small surface area are often more robust in the sense that they maximize a
physical quantity thus explaining their prevalence in physical problems. We
will discuss various analogues of stability and surface area in probabilistic
and combinatorial setups and their rich connections to analysis, the theory of
voting, theoretical computer science and information theory.