[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: [PNI-postdocs] FW: Susan Murphy *tomorrow* 10:30-11:30 at PSH101 - Why/When might variation in treatment be therapeutic?

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Tue Dec 8 15:00:47 EST 2015

Informal talk of interest tomorrow.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Timothy P. Waldron <twaldron at princeton.edu>
Date: Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM
Subject: [PNI-postdocs] FW: Susan Murphy *tomorrow* 10:30-11:30 at PSH101 -
Why/When might variation in treatment be therapeutic?
To: PNI-postdocs at princeton.edu

This talk/brainstorming session will take place tomorrow morning, as part
of Susan's visit to SML/COS and PNI. It is meant as an interactive session,
and Susan is really excited to get our input. Please feel free to circulate.

Susan Murphy
HE Robbins Distinguished University Professor of Statistics, Research
Professor, Institute for Social Research & Professor of Psychiatry
University of Michigan

10:30-11:30
PSH101

Mobile Health concerns the use of mobile devices for both collecting
real-time data, for processing these data and for delivering real-time
treatment. Some of these treatments are accessible via the device 24/7
whereas other treatments are intended to be pushed adaptively and
just-in-time to the user. Might there be therapeutic effect provided by
varying whether or not to push a treatment or to varying the type of
treatment? A potential therapeutic role of variation is inconsistent with
the usual model of a Markov Decision Process. How do we rectify this
inconsistency?