[Ml-stat-talks] PACM Colloquium 2/16/15

Amit Singer amits at math.Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 13 15:37:41 EST 2015

DATE: Monday,  February 16,  2015

PLACE: 214 Fine Hall

TIME: 4:30 pm

SPEAKER: Sebastien Bubeck - Princeton University - ORFE

TITLE: Hypothesis Testing on Random Networks

ABSTRACT:
I will discuss some new hypothesis testing problems on random graph models.
A popular example is the problem of detecting community structure in a
graph. Here we will consider more exotic situations, such as testing one of
the basic assumption in social network analysis: whether the graph has
"geometric structure". We will also talk about dynamical models of random
graphs (such as preferential attachment), and how to test different
hypotheses on the "history" of these graphs.