[Ml-stat-talks] CSML Seminar with Michael Jordan | Wednesday, March 4 at 4:30pm | Computer Science Building 105

Storey, John D. jstorey at Princeton.EDU
Tue Mar 3 09:26:19 EST 2015

Michael Jordan is speaking tomorrow as a part of the CSML Inaugural Seminar Series.  Title and abstract are below.

Michael I. Jordan
University of California, Berkeley

Further Explorations at the Computational and Statistical Interface

One of the grand challenges of our era is the attempt to bring
computational and statistical ideas together in a theoretically-
grounded framework for scalable statistical inference.  This is
made challenging by the lack of a role for computational concepts
such as "runtime" in core statistical theory and the lack of a
role for statistical concepts such as "risk" in core computational
theory.  I discuss our ongoing attempts to build bridges between
"computational thinking" and "inferential thinking," including
the theoretical study of lower bounds that embody computational and
statistical constraints, and the development of procedures that
make controlled use of parallel and distributed architectures in
statistical inference.