[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Reminder: CSML Seminar: Suchi Saria on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 at 12:30pm | Green Hall, Room O-S-6

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Fri Nov 13 08:58:40 EST 2015

Talk of interest next week.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Reminder: CSML Seminar: Suchi Saria on Tuesday, November 17, 2015
at 12:30pm | Green Hall, Room O-S-6
To: CSML-seminars at princeton.edu

Suchi Saria-Johns Hopkins University

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

12:30pm-1:30pm

Green Hall, Room 0-S-6

Title: “Towards a Reasoning Engine for Tailoring Healthcare to the
Individual”

Abstract: A key goal of personalized medicine is to develop tools to
accurately predict an individual's disease trajectory. This information can
then be used to target therapies. Typically, predictive methods focus on
personalization by conditioning on observed characteristics alone. However,
in complex, chronic diseases there are many factors --- that we currently
do not have the means of observing --- that affect progression. Examples
include differences in disease pathways, past exposures, and family traits
that may not be measured (or possible to measure). In this work, using
Scleroderma --- a systemic autoimmune disease --- as an example disease, we
explore a Bayesian framework for individualizing prognosis of disease
trajectories. The proposed model incorporates the diverse set of markers
that are routinely collected during an outpatient visit. I will share
results for improving prognosis using data tracking individuals over 20
years at the Hopkins Scleroderma Center, one of the largest centers
nationally for treating scleroderma. Time permitting, I will also discuss
our experience with deploying a pilot based on our work at this center.