[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: [ORFE seminars] ORFE Colloquium: David Dunson, October 13 at 4:30pm, Sherrerd Hall 101

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Wed Oct 7 10:33:47 EDT 2015

Talk of interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: [ORFE seminars] ORFE Colloquium: David Dunson, October 13 at
4:30pm, Sherrerd Hall 101
To: ORFE-TALKS at princeton.edu

=== ORFE Colloquium Announcement ===

DATE:  Tuesday, October 13, 2015

TIME:  4:30pm

LOCATION:  Sherrerd Hall, room 101

SPEAKER:  David Dunson, Duke University

TITLE:   Probabilistic Modeling of High-dimensional Tables and Networks

ABSTRACT:   High-dimensional discrete data are collected in many
application areas, but have seen limited consideration in the literature.
We focus in particular on two related problems: (i) high-dimensional
categorical data that can be organized as a many way contingency table; and
(ii) graph/network-valued data consisting of a binary adjacency matrix
measured for each subject. The first problem arises in numerous
applications ranging from survey research in social sciences and
epidemiology to genomics and marketing. The second arises in analysis of
brain connectomes and team dynamics among others. We propose a general
approach for these problems based on probabilistic tensor factorizations,
which are low rank and sparse. Taking a Bayesian nonparametric approach to
inference, we show large support, posterior consistency and convergence
rates in the high-dimensional setting. Efficient Markov chain Monte Carlo
algorithms are developed for practical implementation, and the methods are
illustrated through applications in epidemiology and neuroscience.