[Ml-stat-talks] Princeton Optimization Seminar: Emmanuel Abbe, Thursday, Oct. 29, 4:30 PM

Amir Ali Ahmadi a_a_a at princeton.edu
Sun Oct 25 13:49:44 EDT 2015

-----   Princeton Optimization Seminar   -----

DATE: Thursday, October 29, 2015

TIME:  4:30 PM

LOCATION:  Sherrerd Hall 101

SPEAKER: Emmanuel Abbe, Princeton EE/PACM

TITLE: Extracting Communities in the Stochastic Block Model<https://orfe.princeton.edu/abstracts/optimization-seminar/extracting-communities-stochastic-block-model>

Abstract:
The stochastic block model has recently attracted major attention in the theoretical and practical study of community detection. We show that for this model, extracting communities has a fundamental limit, which we characterize in terms of an f-divergence. This defines a notion of clustering capacity analogous to Shannon’s channel capacity. We then develop an efficient algorithm that achieves the limit, implying that there is no computational barrier for community extraction. Joint work with Colin Sandon.

Bio:
Emmanuel Abbe received his Ph.D. from the EECS Department at MIT and his M.S. from the Mathematics Department at EPFL. He joined Princeton University as an assistant professor in the Program for Applied and Computational Mathematics and the Electrical Engineering Department in 2012. His research interests are in information theory, networks, machine learning, and in the interplay between these fields.

*** If you would like to subscribe to the mailing list of the optimization seminar series, please visit the link below or send an email with
SUBSCRIBE opt-seminar in the body to listserv at lists.princeton.edu<mailto:listserv at lists.princeton.edu>.

https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=opt-seminar&A=1