[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Reminder: CSML Seminar: Eric Kolaczyk, Tomorrow, April 5, 2016 at 12:30pm-Green Hall, Room 0-S-6

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:42:20 EDT 2016

Talk of interest tomorrow.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Eric Kolaczyk, Boston University

CSML Seminar

Tomorrow, April 5, 2016

12:30pm-1:30pm

Green Hall, Room 0-S-6

**Lunch will be provided**

Title: “Statistical Analysis of Network Data in the Context of 'Big Data':
Large Networks and Many Networks”

Abstract: One of the key challenges in the current era of `Big Data' is the
ubiquity of structured data, and one particularly prominent example of such
data is network data. In this talk we look at two of the ways that network
data can be `big': in the sense of networks of many nodes, and in the sense
of many networks. Within this context, I will present two vignettes showing
how network versions of quite fundamental statistical problems yet remain
to be addressed. Specifically, I will touch on the problems (i) propagation
of uncertainty to summary statistics of `noisy' networks, and (ii)
estimation and testing for large collections of network data objects. In
both cases I will present a formalization of a certain class of problems
encountered frequently in practice, describe our work in addressing the
core aspects of the problem, and point to some of the many outstanding
challenges remaining.

If you would like to be added to the CSML listserv, please email
capizzi at princeton.edu.