[Ml-stat-talks] Talk of interest - Sebastien Roch - Tuesday, Apr. 12

Ramon van Handel rvan at Princeton.EDU
Mon Apr 11 18:24:26 EDT 2016

Dear all,
The talk tomorrow by Sebastien Roch (see below) may be of interest to this
list. Sebastien combines ideas from probability and statistical mechanics
(Gibbs measures on trees) to solve hard statistical problems in
evolutionary biology. Best, -- Ramon

ORFE COLLOQUIUM

Time/Place: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM in Sherrerd Hall 101

Speaker: Sebastien Roch, UW Madison

Title: From Genomes to Trees and Beyond: Recent Results in Mathematical
Phylogenomics

Abstract: The reconstruction of the Tree of Life is a classical problem in
evolutionary biology that has benefited from many branches of mathematics,
including probability, information theory, combinatorics, and geometry.
Modern DNA sequencing technologies are producing a deluge of new genetic
data---transforming how we view the Tree of Life and how it is
reconstructed. I will survey recent progress on some mathematical
questions that arise in this context. No biology background will be
assumed.