[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: Wilks Statistics Seminar: Yuan Luo, Monday, April 18th @ 4:30pm, Sherrerd Hall 101

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Thu Apr 14 15:38:12 EDT 2016

Talk of interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

***   Wilks Statistics Seminar   ***

DATE:  Monday, April 18, 2016

TIME:   4:30pm

LOCATION:   Sherrerd Hall 101

SPEAKER: Yuan Luo, Northwestern University

TITLE:   ICU Mortality Risk Management Using Panels of Physiologic
Measurements

ABSTRACT:  While clinical laboratories report most test results as
individual numbers, findings or observations, clinical diagnosis usually
relies on the results of multiple tests. Clinical decision support that
integrates multiple elements of laboratory data could be highly useful in
enhancing laboratory diagnosis. Using the analyte ferritin in a
proof-of-concept, we extracted clinical laboratory data from patient
testing and applied a variety of machine learning algorithms to predict
ferritin test result using the results from other tests. We compared
predicted to measured results and reviewed selected cases to assess the
clinical value of predicted ferritin. We show that patient demographics and
results of other laboratory tests can discriminate normal from abnormal
ferritin results with a high degree of accuracy (AUC as high as 0.97,
held-out test data). Case review indicated that predicted ferritin results
may sometimes better reflect underlying iron status than measured ferritin.
Our next step is to integrate temporality into predicting multi-variate
analytes. We devise an algorithm alternating between multiple imputation
based cross sectional prediction and stochastic process based auto
regressive prediction. We show modest performance improvement of the
combined algorithm compared to either component alone. These findings
highlight the substantial informational redundancy present in patient test
results and offer a potential foundation for a novel type of clinical
decision support aimed at integrating, interpreting and enhancing the
diagnostic value of multi-analyte sets of clinical laboratory test results.