[Ml-stat-talks] Fwd: [talks] Reminder: Colloquium Speaker Samy Bengio, Wed Feb 9, 4:30pm

Barbara Engelhardt bee at princeton.edu
Wed Feb 10 09:01:25 EST 2016

Talk of interest.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicole E. Wagenblast <nwagenbl at cs.princeton.edu>
Date: Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM
Subject: [talks] Reminder: Colloquium Speaker Samy Bengio, Wed Feb 9, 4:30pm
To: "Talks (colloquium)" <talks at lists.cs.princeton.edu>

Colloquium Speaker
Samy Bengio, Google
Wednesday, February 10, 4:30 pm
Computer Science 105

Neural Image Captioning

Automatically describing the content of an image is a fundamental problem
in artificial intelligence that connects computer vision and natural
language processing. In this talk, I'll present a generative model based on
a deep recurrent architecture that combines recent advances in computer
vision and machine translation and that can be used to generate natural
sentences describing an image. The model is trained to maximize the
likelihood of the target description sentence given the training image.
Experiments on several datasets show the accuracy of the model and the
fluency of the language it learns solely from image descriptions. Our model
is often quite accurate, which we verify both qualitatively and
quantitatively.

If time permits, I'll also describe an improvement on our basic image
captioning approach that considers the discrepancy between how we train
these models and how we actually use them at inference time, and how adding
some exploration during training mitigates this problem.

Joint work with Oriol Vinyals, Alex Toshev, Dumitru Erhan, Navdeep Jaitly
and Noam Shazeer.

Samy Bengio (PhD in computer science, University of Montreal, 1993) is a
research scientist at Google since 2007. Before that, he was senior
researcher in statistical machine learning at IDIAP Research Institute
since 1999. His most recent research interests are in machine learning, in
particular deep learning, large scale online learning, image ranking and
annotation, music and speech processing. He is action editor of the Journal
of Machine Learning Research and on the editorial board of the Machine
Learning Journal. He was associate editor of the journal of computational
statistics, general chair of the Workshops on Machine Learning for
Multimodal Interactions (MLMI'2004-2006), programme chair of the
International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR'2015-2016),
programme chair of the IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal
Processing (NNSP'2002), chair of BayLearn (2012-2015), and several times on
the programme committee of several international conferences such as NIPS,
ICML, ECML and ICLR. More information can be found on his website:
http://bengio.abracadoudou.com
.

To edit subscription settings or remove yourself, use this link:

Barbara E Engelhardt
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Center for Statistics and Machine Learning
Princeton University
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bee